Twitter Updates

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

First Day of School

(blog, this is a long entry, more for me then you. How's that for selfish with my own psyche!)
I lived through my first day of both classes. Math was pretty cool. Jen is in class with me and there is a guy in there that was in Calc II with us. He was one of the cool ones too. I felt like an idiot because it was like we are doing the same type of math as pre-algebra, just with a different language and different looking equations (and it was hard). I know that isn't diffy q, but I am glad he started with that. It makes the leap a bit easier. I have considered doing an honors project for this class, seeing as I just found out those projects exist. I talked more in class than I expected, it is a good thing, good sign of a good teacher. But I already knew that. I did get a few things wrong. I had the problem with answering too much in calc II. I used to resist. It is just so hard when people are so tentative about speaking up. I like it better when multiple people speak rather than one. I learn more when I speak and get it wrong. I just don't like being the only one speaking. There were a couple more, but, few and far between. It was the first day of class though, so maybe we will warm up.
Physics was pretty awesome. Math was expected, but physics was much longer awaited for. I was also really looking forward to this professor. I KNOW I will have to work really hard, but his students really learn their stuff. One cool thing was he was comfortable giving me a hard time in class. I thought it was funny and I welcome the notion. I think I will enjoy the class very much as long as I can keep up. I talked in his class too surprisingly enough. I gave him a hard time about a couple things, but all we talked about was the syllabus. Just wait until the hard stuff starts. I'm not afraid to get things wrong, but what if I don't even have a guess at all? One good thing is the class participated. They talked too. I am comfortable with this class. I think they may be a smart group. When he asked tough questions (like what is the British unit for mass) more than one person answered correctly. I didn't know. That makes me happy. Leslie mentioned trying the honors thing there. Why didn't I think of doing that before math? She also said if he didn't think it was for me, he would say so. That's awesome. Do I ask or not? Wait until next week to find out.
Earlier I was asking who takes a 5 credit hour class which doesn't apply towards their major (at that school) the same semester they are supposed to get their AA? I guess I do. This physics class could detriment my GPA. Then, who tries to do a math honors project that same semester? I guess I do. Why the hell would I consider doing a physics honor project? Really, how much time can I spend on school? I was worried I couldn't handle the classes as it is. I guess technically I could tell Rick I decided to do a physics one instead, but I wont do that. I guess there is no permanent repercussion for not succeeding. But, I think there is for me. See what is in my head? One thought just occurred to me as I think out loud...There is no way I wouldn't learn more by attempting this honors crap. The only thing it can really do is help me. It will give me a chance to apply what I am learning to something I do for myself. I have to stick with my guns, that I am in it to learn, and not just for the grade. I can hope to learn more about Maple with my math class, but what to do with physics? I guess Bob has to approve of this in the first place. Maybe I really don't have the time.
Yes, that was a long entry, but I did just finally finish my first two classes this semester.

No comments: