Twitter Updates

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Complexity Completed

I finished my book Complexity: The Emerging Science at the Edge of Order and Chaos by M. Mitchell Waldrop. I'm glad I read it. I got to learn about many of the scientist that founded the Santa Fe Institute and what they were doing and thinking during that time. It was an introduction to many different sciences and fields, mostly having to do with artificial life and complexity in an economic and biological standpoint. I felt sad when I finished the book that the story ended in the early 1990's and I will have to go look to find out what happened after that.
Upon finishing that book, and my lack of energy today due to being ill, I picked up my next book to read. I wanted to at least read the preface before I take some drugs and try to get to sleep. I picked up A Tour of the Calculus which I had mentioned I wanted to read, mainly because it was funny and must have some incite. I read the preface and got started when it started going on about Isaac Newton. I have read about his life before (for fun as usual), and was thinking. I should probably read a book more on physics. I have had far less physics classes than math classes and since that is the subject I am more curious about right now, it only makes sense for me to read a book more on that line. I mean really, what if I get swayed away from my astronomy dream again? I will get back to the calculus book. It is still scratching at me. After all, I do like math. :)
Anyway
, the only book currently on my shelf that has anything to do with physics is Quantum Reality: Beyond the New Physics by Nick Herbert. Yes, it sounds daunting... but I'll give it a go. It says it's in Layman's terms, but we shall see. Maybe after I am more educated I can go back and read it and better understand what was a mystery, or will have been a mystery as I read it now. I know, that sentence didn't make much sense, but in my defense, I am sick. I will probably not finish the book before the semester starts, so hopefully I don't give up too much homework to allow myself to read it from time to time. I did read the preface, and I may be able to understand parts of it. If I can't understand it at all, I will either try to find out what that physics book that was recommended in calc III, or back to my list. (I should probably find out what that book was, though, it sounded good).

No comments: