Twitter Updates

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Reflections

Well, I joined Phi Theta Kappa.

I don’t know what this school has done differently, but it has made an obvious impact. It is no wonder I have so many previous entries about how much I like it there.

Thanks to all of those who have helped me (and are still).

Special thanks to the calculus series teachers and the friends with whom I studied. Had that series not gone so well, I may not be where I am now.

I know my reputation at Flo Valley is that of a good student. I do my homework, I get good grades, I go to class… All that…

I wasn’t always a good student. I did start out at Meramec back in the mid 1990’s where I didn’t do so well. I went to Blackburn College where I didn’t do so well. I went to Southern Illinois University Edwardsville where I didn’t do so well. I went to the University of Missouri St. Louis where I didn’t do so well. Finally I landed at Florissant Valley, where I did do well (or should I say am doing well). Since I did poorly at Meramec and that is part of St. Louis Community College those grades carried over to my Flo Valley GPA. I didn’t have my GPA reevaluated for my General Studies AA, but I did for my Math AA. The General Transfer AA was just like a gimme degree (I had more than enough credits to earn it) (though it did put Webster out of the options because of their stupid policy about only accepting the first Associates). Enough about my poor academic history.

It’s funny. 4 years ago when I went to UMSL I declared math. I had to take a couple gen. ed. courses which SUCKED. I lost credits in my transfer to UMSL (and every other school for that matter) so I decided to go to Flo Valley for an associates. I figured that is something nobody can take away from me. The math AA was just the quickest and easiest path for me. I did think about (after FLO) getting my CS BS degree, but when I found out my math wouldn’t transfer to Webster I realized I wasn’t ready to quit math. When I found out physics was a real possibility it turns out math is the quickest way to get there. Everything brings me in a full circle back to math. Physics is killing me right now too. (I had to read the chapter, do example problems… I am doing everything within my power to do better in that class).

I will be going back to UMSL in fall '09. Fortunately I will have most of my gen. ed. done and wont have to deal too much with the part of the campus I dealt with last time I was there. I will get a whole new math department. At least now I know I am capable.

I never thought I would ever have a decent GPA or join any sort of academic something or other. I never thought I would be honored for anything I ever did in academia. I cried a little. I may be a good student, but it is difficult for me to accept. I don’t know that I ever will accept it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cost is often the first objection that is put up, but usually it's not the true reason, deep down, for rejecting a product or service. [url=http://www.mulberryhandbagssale.co.uk]Mulberry outlet shop[/url] Are you currently taking part in Diablo III and you want to learn the way you'll be able to dominate all of your close friends and enemies at Diablo III? Properly, if you would like to be the envy of the buddies, I've got detailed a handful of Diablo III tactics that it is possible to use to dominate the game. [url=http://www.goosecoatsale.ca]canada goose outlet[/url] Akbqzqhel
[url=http://www.pandorajewelryvip.co.uk]pandora uk[/url] Csmqpioax [url=http://www.officialcanadagooseparkae.com]canada goose jacket sale[/url] wdfciibwr