Twitter Updates

Friday, July 25, 2008

University of Missouri St. Louis (UMSL) Math it is!

Washington University (WU) would take at least seven years to get my undergrad in physics (and that is if everything goes perfectly). At UMSL it will probably only take about four years to get my math undergrad. The ultimate goal is the graduate program at WU, the quickest way to get there is via UMSL. UMSL may have more evening classes available, so I wouldn’t have to mess with my work schedule as much, and it is slightly closer than WU.

I took my calc III final on the 23rd. I had a 99% overall in the class prior to that. I only needed a 53% on the final to get an A in the class. Every time I sat down to study I felt like I was just repeating stuff. I know the formulas; I guess I just got burnt. I didn’t do as well on the final as I was capable, but am still confident I will get an A. I think I would have rather done poorly on one of the test and better on the final than vise versa. I will miss that class though. It was actually quite enjoyable.

I’ve been quite lucky with my math teachers at FLO. Anne Marie Mosher is a great teacher and has become a friend. John Hake doesn’t know it, but he helped me get away from computer science and stick with what I like doing. I wasn’t ready to stop taking math classes. Frank Brooks, he helped me remember what I always wanted to do (I don’t have a link for him). I have always been interested in astronomy. He told me about some of the teachers at WU and what they are working on. That was all I had to hear.

The whole summer semester I have been trying to figure out the best way to get into physics. It is ironic that at the beginning of the semester I was going to got to UMSL math, and now at the end it is not really still, but back to UMSL math. In May I wasn’t sure. I just wanted to take more math classes. Now (July) I am sure of what I want to do. It has been a hell of a semester, thought provoking, enlightening, and motivating. I’m glad I went through it. I still have some minor decisions, but the major ones are past me… for now.


(and no, I will never quit writing about school)

And now for something completely different!

I went to The Muny for the first time last night. Anne Marie, Rick Armstrong, his wife Fran and I went to see Miss Saigon. It was sad and awesome! There was a real helicopter flying overhead for one of the scenes. Prior to the Muny we went to this great Greek restaurant. I can’t remember the name, but if I find out I will update. It was soooo good. I felt really special being in their company. Anne and Rick are great. I have met them both before at school. Fran was very impressive. It was nice to be around her. It is always nice to be around intelligent people.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.